Boko Haram has again, struck in Borno State killing no fewer than 48 people in two separate attacks.
One of the latest victims of the insurgents’ attacks was Alagarno village in Askira-Uba Local Government Area, about 50 kilometres to the hometown of the abducted schoolgirls, South of Borno.
“They killed many people including men, women and children,” a source said.
Also, at Shawa village in Damboa Local Government Area, the insurgents reportedly killed a number of people in another dusk attack.
A man, who hails from Askira but resides in Maiduguri told Daily Sun on condition of anonymity that the insurgents came to Alagarno on Tuesday night and started shooting into houses, thereby, forcing many of the frightened residents to flee their homes. Quoting his relations, he said this gave the gunmen the opportunity to shoot at the fleeing residents, killing many while scores were injured.
Another source told journalists in a telephone conversation that the attackers burnt down many houses in the town.
“They destroyed everything we have and burnt down our remaining food. Most painful thing is that, they did not spare children. They killed a child, they killed women and men,” the source claimed.
The Emir of Askira, Alhaji Abubakar Mohammadu Askirama II, in an interview with BBC Hausa Service, monitored in Maiduguri, confirmed the incident and appealed to the Federal Government to deploy more troops to the area.
He lamented that the area had been witnessing incessant attacks in recent times. Details of the Shawa attack remained scanty as at press time.